I have this dream of trekking till mount Everest Base camp. Yeah I know people dream about summiting and I only intend to go till Base camp of about 17,500 ft height above sea level. But that even isn’t easy task at all. of course Everest is a lifetime dream but I’m only focusing on basecamp
May be I want to train my body for 2 yrs for that. I have interacted with few mountain climbers and they have helped many a novice like me to plan. and this is how I plan
- Keep your body Hydrated
Your body need to be hydrated most of the time . so Im just increasing the intake of water each day . high altitude can have adverse effect on your body and can cause altitude sickness. I plan to drink different fruit juices everyday . at least 2 glasses each day
Physical fitness plays a vital role in climbing at such heights where oxygen level is so low.
As im used to long distance walking , I will have to do some running too to increase my stamina
|Monday||Running for 30 mins|
|Tuesday||Exercise like warm ups|
|Wednesday||Cycling for 30 mins|
|Thursday||Running + exercise for 60 mins.|
|Friday||Cycling for 30 mins|
|Saturday||Walking 30 mins + pranayama|
- I need to hit the gym also.Naaah!! you got it wrong. aim is to be fit rather than body building. BTW we have no elevators day every Friday in our office. we are not supposed to use lifts. I follow it strongly .. 🙂
- I need to buy all the necessary equipment’s like pair of trekking boots, jacket, water carrier, sun hat as sun can be powerful many a times . I will be making a list of them soon .btw you can get all these in Namche bazar which is last stop where you can get all the accessories before Everest but as a traveler you might have to shell out more money if you do not know the art of bargaining .
- I have even been into road trip and trekking to near by smaller hills, I’m planning to spend few more weekends with BMC(Bangalore Mountaineering Club) where I can get more experience in trekking mountains and valleys . there is another one called Base camp adventures which take you to more advance mountains like Kilimanjaro also.. but that I would plan after I feel im more fit for that .
- I used to run Marathons in my previous company(Spirit of Wipro run) with minimal exercise or most of the time without training..but this requires a 10 time greater amount of training.
- I know this is not at all sufficient. Human body is not designed to work well on high altitudes but this is my first baby step. this plan may change every month .Amidst the daily corporate 10-6 job , finding a work-life balance has become a adventure in itself for many .. but as a travel enthusiast this could be a different experience altogether
all these are about physical fitness . I will write more on mental fitness in y coming posts